Armadillo Eggs are a great way to experiment with different proteins and almost always come out with something delicious. It is usually a jalapeño stuffed with cheese, encased in sausage then wrapped with bacon, smoked or baked in the oven. This week we decided to experiment and substitute the sausage with chicken to give a different flavor. No matter what you decide to put in the armadillo eggs we sure you are going to love this appetizer!
- 8 Jalapeños
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 thinly sliced Chicken breasts -or-
1 lb. Ground breakfast sausage
- 8 slices of Bacon
- Seasoning of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix together the cream cheese and cheddar cheese, you can add a dash of garlic powder here if you would like. Cut the cap off the jalapeños then slice in half. Deseed the peppers.
- Fill peppers with cheese mixture. Wrap the pepper with the chicken or sausage. If you are using chicken, cut the chicken breast in half and use one half for one egg. Then wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Bake on 375 Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until brown and the chicken is done.